Friday, February 27, 2015

Day 35: Something you are passionate about.

I'm passionate about empowerment.

I recently was in a group playing this game where you talk about yourself (or something that happened to you) for 3 minutes and then someone asks you 2 questions. A girl spoke, and while it was pleasant and kind, there was no thought behind it. So I asked her, "Why are you here?", which was misinterpretted. Then I asked, "Why do you want to be a chiropractor?" to which she said what she'd already said. I asked her WHY her, and why chiropractic, and she started to cry. 

At the end she asked what my why was, and I said that I'd known many people who had been told they were broken, and that "x" woud NEEEVVVERRR happen. And of course, like most things in life, when the option of whatever they wanted was "taken" from them.... their purpose floundered. My goal is to let people know that their bodies can do all sorts of things. While it's unlikely that a person would ever take flight without mechanical or technological assistance, who is a doctor to tell you how long you have to live? Or that you can't have children?  

People receive news that they will live 6 weeks and live 6 years (I've seen this one directly). People get pregnant all the time when they were told it was impossible. The most beautiful thing that I saw working for my previous employer was when many doctors told my fiance there was no hope, and that surgery was his only option, she said to him, "Let's just try this first and see how it goes." 2 years later he tore his ACL, and in review of the MRI, the doctor told him there was NO evidence of a previous tear to the LCL... which means either the doctor misdiagnosed the LCL tear, or it healed so well that it wasn't evident on the new MRI. 

It's no longer appropriate for a doctor to be the primary decision maker for your health. Doctor means teacher. Teachers inform, or at least they should. I would never advise a patient against taking a drug or having a surgery, I simply insist in this age of information, that they consider the consequences are advantages of all things; including chiropractic. 

Chiropractors are doctors of the nervous system. To say that Chiropractors are doctors of the musculoskeletal system is to deny the fact that our soft organs are innervated and influenced by the components of electricity and hormones from the brain. If your GI tract isn't receving sympathetic and parasympathetic influence, you are dead. If your ovaries aren't receiving FSH, then you aren't ovulating. If your kidneys and adrenals are in sympathetic mode, your blood sugar will be high, your kidneys are working way harder than necessary, and you're taxing a fairly delicate system. You do not "Fix" blood pressure by taking a pill. You're just bunching up the kidneys and making them work harder. All actions have consequences. 

I believe in trying noninvasive methods of managing health issues first. I am passionate about letting people know that SO many things start and heal in the limbic system. I am passionate about people taking an active role in their health; and it starts with being informed about the body in which they dwell.

No comments:

Post a Comment